Sunday 17 May 2009

Hurra!

Today is national day, and this picture was taken after the celebrations were over. Being on the committee who arranged the celebrations for Løten, we've had plenty to do. Yesterday we got things ready, today we first went to church (Reidar had traffic duty outside) walked in the parade from the church, down a long hill, and through the centre of Løten. It was about a mile. Next we served ice-cream to all the children in Løten - sounds quite sweet and charming, but in reality meant trying to control a pack of impatient teachers and parents. Next to the sports hall to serve stew to the marching bands and choirs; also three visiting choirs from Estonia. It was beautiful sunny weather, so a thick, heavy
woollen national costume was plenty warm enough, and oh! my poor feet. Generally speaking a great day for everyone.
And yes, you may congratulate Norway on winning the Eurovision Song Contest hands down.

4 comments:

  1. Looks like you had a lovely time, wish I was there! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish you were too. Maybe some other year...

    ReplyDelete
  3. You look so fabulous! People that get to wear intricate and culturally meaningful things make me wish the U.S. wasn't so much of a melting pot. When will I ever own or get to wear one (a nation costume I mean)? The answer is never. So enjoy it for me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's funny what living in Norway has done to me - probably similar to your Mum, having lived longer abroad than at home, we start to go native. I love the norwegian flag, and think it looks better than the Union Jack. I'm such a Norway patriot, but I'll always be proud to be English, and even more proud to be Cornish. I wish there was an English national costume.

    ReplyDelete